Saturday 13 May 2017

Passion

Passion. It is indeed a big word. At the beginning of my journey embarking into this seafaring career, all I was thinking about is money and travelling the world. As I get to know more about this career during my practical year, I’m amazed by the new things I got to learn everyday.


First of all, I’m amazed by how we can get our exact position at the open sea by the calculation method of the celestial object observed at that specific time. For your information, celestial objects is all the objects that we can witness in the sky during the day or by the night such as sun, moon, planets and stars. I’m more amazed by the fact this knowledge has already being found out by the ancient sailors during the age of British conquest 500 years earlier.

                                                                                                                                                         
   
                               


Other than that, I got to learn meteorology. By the formation of clouds and the condition of the sea being observed, you can actually understand what meteorological weather you will encounter. I also got to enhance my observation skill everyday as the only thing I got to see are the sea and the sky. With this observation skill of mine, I can anticipate when a bad weather will come. It is like a 6th sense to a seafarer since you will experience the changes of weather many times from one places to another place.


 





Next, is chartwork. Chart to simply put is a display of earth’s topographic and hydrographic on a single sheet. From there, you can plot your vessel position obtain by means of the celestial or terrestrial observation. Usually, it is better to use terrestrial observation to plot a position when near a landfall and use a celestial observation in an open sea where no land can be sighted nearby.




Lastly, surely is navigation. This is the knowledge which all who called themselves a seafarer ever wanted. The practices and skills to plan and manoeuvre a ship safely through the sea without involving in any incident such as collision and grounding of vessel. A good look-out and wide use of available means through all the equipment onboard need to be utilize.























In summary, there are whole lot of other knowledge and skills I’ve obtained during my practical year onboard. Above are some of the things I’m sharing to you reader as a teaser. Well as I’m coming to the end of my entry, just wanted to share a sentence of my life's principle, “working hard in something you don’t care is called stress, but when you working hard on something you love that is passion”.



No comments:

Post a Comment