Monday 1 May 2017

Epaulette of My Life



Epaulette of My Life


               This story started when I continued my studies at Akademi Laut Malaysia (ALAM). There, I was exposed to a bit of military lifestyles. ALAM imposed a half regimental style on the students who studied there. Some of the examples, marching in a group when moving from one places to another place. Every morning we will have colours (morning assembly) which we will sing the Malaysia national anthem, Melaka anthem and ALAM anthem. Also, every night we will have a roll call where the warden and the rank holders will count the total number of the students.

               Here in ALAM, I learned a lot about military even though when the students will graduate and not enlist in the army, but the lifestyle on board a merchant ship is quite the similar with army lifestyles. Respect the rank, follow the chain of command and etiquettes are the few basic things that ALAM will nurture in their students before the students graduate and start their career as a merchant seafarer.

               Things that I want to share with the reader is epaulette. Epaulette is a type of ornamental shoulder piece or decoration used as insignia of rank by armed forces and other organizations. From the epaulette, you know where is your standing and you can easily recognised others rank from the epaulette. When a junior in rank sees the senior in rank, it is an ethic for the junior to wish the senior as to shows the sign of respect. Since the first year in ALAM, I started wearing an epaulette on my uniform.


This is the picture of ALAM first year student epaulette.




Besides that, I also joined the PALAPES or you could call it reserved officer during my junior year. These are the pictures of my cadet rank in PALAPES.






















So, when the first year ALAM finishes their Semester 1 and Semester 2, they are required to do a shipboard service on board a merchant ship for 12 months. This is counted as their practical year, and for the students to have an exposure to the lifestyles on board of merchant ship. This is the picture of my cadet rank during my 12 months’ services.

                                                   


Now, I’ve just completed my 12 months’ shipboard service and entering my final year in ALAM as semester 5 students. This is the current epaulette that I wear.




As for PALAPES, my current rank is Midshipman and these are my new epaulettes.






















When I finish my semester 5 and go for my semester 6 or you could call it my final semester, I’ll be wearing this epaulette.





And InSyaAllah, if all went as per plan, I’ll be having commissioning ceremony 12th August of this year. And my new rank in PALAPES will be Sub-lieutenant.





















Well, all this rank is the thing that have shaped me for who I am now. I learned to respect and appreciate the things I have. In future, InSyaAllah there will be more rank that I will succeed. But, in proceeding toward the next rank in my merchant navy career, I’ll be taking my time and improves myself to be better so that I can wear that rank on my shoulder and walk with proud.








No comments:

Post a Comment