Monday 1 May 2017

Mahakavi Bharati


Chinnaswami Subramania Bharati (11 December 1882 – 12 September 1921)was an India Writer, Poet and Journalist, and Indian Independence activist and social reformer from Tamil Nadu. Popularly known as “Mahakavi Bharati”, he was a pioneer of modern Tamil poetry and is considered one of the greatest Tamil literary figures of all time. His numerous works were fiery songs kindling patriotism and nationalism during the Indian independence Movement.

I'm a great fan of Bharathi’s awesome writings. Though his poetry usually known to express progressive and reformist ideals, my personal favorite is a romantic one. I literally get goose bumps when listening to these mesmerizing lines.

காற்று வெளியிடைக் கண்ணம்மா, - நின்றன்
காதலை யெண்ணிக் களிக்கின்றேன் - அமு
தூற்றினை யொத்த இதழ்களும் - நில
வூறித் ததும்பும் விழிகளும் - பத்து
மாற்றுப்பொன் னொத்தநின் மேனியும் - இந்த
வையத்தில் யானுள்ள மட்டிலும் - எனை
வேற்று நினைவின்றித் தேற்றியே - இங்கோர்
விண்ணவ னாகப் புரியுமே! இந்தக் (காற்று)

In this breezy expanse Kannamma - I
feel blissful thinking of your love- Luscious
lips like a fount of honey -Moon
like eyes with serenity - Gold
like skin shining with brilliance - in this
world till I live - these will absorb
me, thinking of nothing else - make me
feel like a celestial being.

1 comment: